I attended my first Pool Party at McCarren Park Pool of the season this past Sunday. We walked in as The Whip was on stage, whose music I hadn't heard before. Their sound is electro-indie rock [is there an official name for this genre yet?] with very simple lyrics that mostly consist of getting trashed and things of the sort---I enjoyed it!
Next up was Matt & Kim. They brought on a school band for a rendition of Beyonce's "Crazy In Love," and "Yea Yeah" which I think lacked the dancey punch that the recorded version has. Matt's banter in between songs got kind of irritating at times, nonetheless they put on a good show...but I wouldn't pay to see them live.
Last and not least, the Deal sisters took the stage in all their legendary glory with The Breeders. They [like Matt & Kim], seemed genuinely happy and appreciative for the outpour of support from the fans. They played an array of old and new material that seemed to make the crowd very happy. I personally would have loved to have heard a cover of "Gigantic" but knew it was 100% doubtful from the start.
Also kicking off their upcoming domination of the American retail market was Top Shop/Top Man! I was so excited last year upon hearing the news of the UK-based company's new Soho residence and the time has finally come. Photobooths were set up along the deck of McCarren Park Pool and free gifts were given to people patient enough to wait on the line [Men got free Towels/bags and the ladies got a free tank top.]

The Breeders:




The Whip:

Matt & Kim:




«More Pictures From The Pool Party 7/13»







No comments:
Post a Comment