I had the pleasure of catching The Asteroids Galaxy Tour during their string of NYC gigs in November that included Piano's and Webster Hall. TLC friends Sheena Beaston, Nicky Digital and I braved the cruel weather and mediocre opener to catch the band's live set at Webster Hall.
Once the petite lead singer Mette Lindberg took the stage with her tussled hair and sparkly oversized scarf, it was the sign of things to come in 2009. The Asteroids Galaxy Tour have an authentic yet refreshing sound that nods towards glam but skims over the pretentious.
After the show, we caught up with Mette and Lars in the East Village and briefly discussed the show's success and what is to come in 2009. Enjoy our post-New York interview with Mette below and stay tuned to The Asteroids Galaxy Tour! Special thanks to Sheena Beaston, photos courtesy of ATG and Nicky Digital, more pictures from the show HERE.
> I hope you all had a great time playing your first NYC shows in November! I was so impressed by the Webster Hall gig. What was it like playing for us New Yorkers?
M: Well Thank you.We had great fun at Webster Hall, so many people. The crowd was fantastic. We would love to come back and play in New York again!!
> It was really cool bumping into you guys later on that night as well! What are some of your favorite things to do and/or places to hang out in NYC?
M: We had a really busy week, so we did not see anything in New York. Or yes we did...from inside the van, does that count?! We did interviews, played concerts and recorded songs for a special feature on iTunes this December! Will make sure to have more days to discover the city next time...it was also our first time being there.
> When we spoke after the gig at Webster Hall you mentioned that the full-length album would be out early 2009, what can we expect?
M: Yes, it will be out in late March...can't wait! You can expect everything!
> What is the story behind the name Asteroids Galaxy Tour?
M: Our trumpet player Miloud came up with the title, and it just sounded fantastic. So Lars said "Hey Miloud, I have to steal that," and here we are. I like that it sounds more like a movie and a journey because we are a duo, but then again a band when we play live. We have 4 other friends that join Lars and I for live gigs.
> Can you tell us a little bit about your journey as a band leading up to now?
M: Lars and I started writing and recording the songs in the summer of 2007 and got in contact with our management ie Music. Then we gathered the band which [consists of] friends of ours. We started playing and a lot of crazy and good things happened. Here we are one and a half years later from when it started...where are we?!
> What has your experience touring the world been like? What have been some of your favorite cities to play?
M: We have not toured the world, we have only played maybe 30 gigs...mostly in England. Ask me again a year from now and I would love to say: Germany, Japan, US, UK, Scandinavia, Australia, Brazil......
> As a band from Denmark, I'm interested in what went into the decision to record in the English language?
M: We are taught English in school from the age of 10. The voices in cartoons and movies are not dubbed, it is just captioned. We also listen to a lot of music in English from the radio. So it's very natural to sing in English. I also like the challenge of expression in a language that isn't your first language...maybe it gives it a twist, makes it more crispy!
> I was really excited to hear songs from the Around the Bend EP in this week's episode of Gossip Girl (one of my very guilty pleasures.) What is the initial feeling when hearing your music in mainstream vehicles like the iPod Touch commercial and in Gossip Girl?
M: Hmmm, I don't have a television and the commercial is not played or shown in Denmark, so I don't know!
> Speaking of guilty pleasures, can you name a few of your favorite artists? What did you grow up listening to?
M: I grew up listening to The Beatles, Stevie Wonder, Bob Dylan, Hair, and many more. I also love Billie holiday, Gnarls Barkley, Damon Albarn and old soul music like The Supremes, Marvin Gaye, and The Four Tops. I also listened to Missy Elliott, The Strokes, The Who, The Rolling Stones, Björk, The Smiths, and Beck [Hansen]!
> Who are some producers and/or artists you would like to work with in the future?
M: Lars is the producer of our music and sound; we also mixed the songs ourselves. But, I think we would love to work with interesting remixers and producers such as Danger Mouse.
> As 2008 nears the end, do you have any extravagant plans to ring in the new year (which will no doubt be a big one for you)?
M: I will be traveling to Thailand with my boyfriend for 3 weeks during Christmas and New Year. Yeah, yeah, yeah...can't wait!
> We are looking forward to the record as well as catching you on the road again. Thank you for your time and best of luck in 2009!
Thursday, December 11, 2008
TLC vs. The Asteroids Galaxy Tour: Exclusive Interview
Labels:
exclusive,
the asteroids galaxy tour
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)







No comments:
Post a Comment