Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Laura Marling Charms NYC's Mercury Lounge

Last week I had the pleasure of seeing Laura Marling for the first time at Mercury Lounge. The tiny room was packed with people, mouths agape, practically hanging on her every note. She was truly enthralling live and after warming up to the crowd a bit, came across really warm and personable. At her age, I think she qualifies as a prodigy. The New Yorker and NY Times are fans.

Her backing band played double duty by playing the opening slot as well and are called Mumford and Sons. Despite hailing from London, these fellas very clearly play alt-country, folk, Americana music. If you're in London, I recommend checking out their record release party on 7th July at the lovely Luminaire in Kilburn for debut EP out on Chess Records. They were a featured "new band of the day" on the Guardian online back in April. Read article HERE.















1 comment:

Anthony said...

Great pics, I;ll have to give her a listen asap!