Friday, June 13, 2008

M.I.A. takes over McCarren Park Pool

M.I.A's concert at McCarren Park Pool in Brooklyn kicked off the start of an amazing weekend of 25th birthday celebrations for me. Kala, released in fall 2007, was on HEAVY rotation to the point that I couldn't even listen to it anymore. When she played both London and NYC that fall, I missed her by a few days each but finally got the chance to experience one of her high-energy shows last week on June 6th.

Holy Fuck opened the show with an enjoyable set that mostly consisted of vocoder and instrumentation. They were followed by M.I.A. protégé, Rye Rye and much to my surprise Diplo who successfully got the crowd hyped up for the headliner. The show began with a video montage depicting a Japanese dictator running for president and exclaiming that "the only way to save this world is to destroy it," which sent the crowd into an eruption of cheering.

The sold-out show opened up with "Bamboo Banga," and from that moment on the dancing and lyric-chanting were unstoppable. The crowd was so into it, but a few times I deemed it necessary to push a few out of my personal space. It was definitely like one big party on stage, especially during "Boyz"when she called the audience to join her on stage. Tips for an M.I.A. show: Wear comfortable shoes, be prepared to be pushed, be hydrated, be prepared to party, and keep an eye out for random celebrities such as Susan Sarandon who was in attendance!


« Click to see More Concert Photos »


Enjoy the energetic performance below of Hussel:

No comments: