Saturday, August 9, 2008

Bloc Party & Does it Offend You, Yeah? at Webster Hall

The doors opened late for Bloc Party's Wednesday night show at Webster Hall. As a person with a full time job this did not still well with me, nor did the following: the first band [whose name I didn't get because their mic wasn't working] Amazing Baby was a waste of time, Does it Offend You, Yeah? took forever to set up and had technical difficulties, and Bloc Party didn't hit the stage until about 10PM. TLC had an amazing spot in front of the stage, but we were definitely anxious.

Amazing Baby was a very bad combination of people thrown together: the Slash wannabe guitarist overpowering his band mates + the gag-worthy hipster pretty boy lead singer whose mic did not work + 2 random back up singers in dresses + 2 random guys. Even without the vocals the music was bad, and the band was so over the top. Does it Offend You, Yeah? burst onto the stage with a few technical difficulties but commanded everyones attention with their high-energy stage presence and naughty antics...I thoroughly enjoyed it.

Bloc Party zipped through their set seamlessly along with Gordon Moakes stand-in, Daniel Lindegren. They played tracks from previous releases including "Flux," gave a nod to Missy Elliott's "Shake it Like a Pom Pom," covered Prince's "I Will Die 4 You," and current single "Mercury." Even with all the bumps along the way, Bloc Party definitely gave a great show. I saw them three years ago at McCarren Park Pool and I must say they've definitely improved in sound and stage presence collectively.

«More Pictures of Bloc Party & DIOYY at Webster Hall»



MP3:
Bloc Party- Where Is Home? (Diplo Remix Featuring Skepta)



















Does it Offend You, Yeah?




Amazing Baby

No comments: