Pete & The Pirates are an indie band from Reading, UK whose debut album, Little Death, was released in the UK in January. Not quite twee (Belle & Sebastian), not quite folk (Noah and The Whale) and not quite straight up Brit Rock (Courteeners), Pete & The Pirates are what I'd perhaps venture to call thoughtful British indie fringe-rock...just skirting the mainstream enough to be radio friendly and a cult favorite a la Mystery Jets and Cajun Dance Party (previous TLC artist spotlight).
I picked up Little Death at Rough Trade East back in January and remember thinking it was a really good debut with lots of fun, straight-forward guitar pop tunes. Unfortunately in the following months, this little gem fell behind some of the more overwhelming and powerful releases in my iTunes rotation. I rediscovered this band last week when I noticed their catchy-as-all-hell single, Mr. Understanding, in the commercial for Hamlet 2, the new comedy starring Steve Coogan. Hopefully this will bring some well deserved attention to the band here in the States.
MP3 - Pete & The Pirates - She Doesn't Belong To Me







1 comment:
i love that this band makes me feel sixteen again. i don't love the fact that they don't come to the states.
Post a Comment