Saturday, May 3, 2008

New Artist Spotlight: Cajun Dance Party

Cajun Dance Party are a North London 5-piece all under the age of 18. Whoa, these bands just keep getting younger and younger it seems...makes the rest of us feel rather unaccomplished in our not so old age.

When I was their age I was worried about picking a prom dress and getting into university. These kids, however, who've been playing together only about a year, have already been signed to influential indie label, XL, and written, recorded and released a debut LP to much critical acclaim.

The Colourful Life, released last week in the UK, was produced by Bernard Butler of Suede fame. The Guardian gave the album 4 out of 5 stars. The album's had brief mention Stateside on Pitchfork and they were titled Band To Watch by Stereogum.

Video for single, The Race:


They've been called a cross between The Kooks and Arcade Fire, and even though I'm not fond of these arbitrary comparisons, to me, they're musically and vocally like The Kooks but more lyrically like The Maccabees or even Maximo Park. I think they could potentially have a similar appeal as The Kooks in the US.Cajun Dance Party will be playing London's Bloomsbury Ballroom in July. Stateside folks can expect the album's release in the Fall.

1 comment:

Beckwina said...

I can recomend these kids to do some dancing to....much fun!!!xox