Sunday, May 25, 2008

Why does every other city have a good Club NME except NYC?

Ok, I know a lot of discerning UK clubbers would not consider Club NME nights the best, but everyone must admit it's defnitely a fail-proof place to hear all the indie hits du jour and catch a buzzworthy live act. Back in 2006 in London, I caught We Are Scientists play a 2am surprise slot at Club NME Koko and more recently, in 2008, the night has been host to the likes of The Courteeners and The Rascals when their industry buzz was merely a faint hum.

I was excited in 2007 when I heard Club NME was opening up shop in NYC. The first night was supposed to be part of the CMJ festival if I remember correctly but all the details like location and who was going to play/spin seemed to be shrouded in secrecy. Nothing's ever been very clear about it ever since then and when it does show up, it's at The Annex (a relatively good venue/bar but if anyone's been to Koko, the size of the "dancefloor" in this place is actually laughable) and no one's heard of any of the bands playing.

I know the weekly Club NME LA at Spaceland has been a success since 2006 with celebrity DJs and big name bands galore, AND NOW I see they've started a Club NME San Francisco! This night is hosted at the respectable Popscene venue and featured Foals on its first outing!

NYC is in dire need of a mega blowout weekly indie night and I originally thought Club NME was going to be the answer...but nearly 2 years on, nothing's really happening. WHAT'S GOING ON HERE?!

No comments: