
I had feared for a while there that this was going to turn into a Last Shadow Puppets blog as my zealous, repeat listens of The Age of the Understatement were getting a bit out of hand. I can't remember the last time I memorized all the words to an entire album in one day. Even though my initial flush of infatuation with Turner & Kane has ebbed this week, I just had to feature their gem of a b-side cover track.
As a b-side to first single, The Age of the Understatement, the duo recorded In the Heat of the Morning, a classic early early early Bowie pop song. Clearly a nod to one of their album's strongest influences. I am so glad someone is bringing attention to and being influenced by these songs, which can be found on The Deram Anthology.
The boys recorded a soulful version faithful to the original. It's about time young musicians are taking another listen to mod era Bowie and gleaning some very strong pop sensibilities from the tunes. By breathing new life into In the Heat of the Morning, The Last Shadow Puppets will no doubt introduce this Bowie period to a new group of listeners.







No comments:
Post a Comment