Friday, May 9, 2008

NYC and London Mayoral love-in!

(image courtesy of The Guardian)


Today, NYC's Mayor Michael Bloomberg met with London's newly elected mayor, Boris Johnson. I must say I was totally flabbergasted earlier this week when I found out Boris Johnson was London's new mayor considering my (limited) knowledge and impression of him while living in the UK as that of a bit of a lunatic and buffoon. I think Londoners were eager for a change after 8 years of Ken Livingstone, although I gathered that overall most Londoners were pretty satisfied w/ the job Ken was doing. Thoughts?


The meeting saw the two officials initiating The Innovation Exchange Programme allowing "officials from both cities to visit each other to share ideas" on such issues as education and crime fighting. Not only do the US and the UK have a "special relationship" but the microcosms of New York and London, which represent the respective countries on the world stage, share this relationship of awesome specialness. Now maybe the premise of the failed Fox Network program, Keen Eddie, CAN ACTUALLY HAPPEN! orrr maybe a program can be set up where we all alternate 6 months of every year between the cities (wishful thinking).

I honestly hope Johnson does a good job....he's an enigmatic character at the very least who I hope has some great ideas and leadership skills to go with that booming, yet somewhat bumbling, personality.

In addition to exchanging terms of endearment, Mike and Boris gave each other cheesy stereotypical gifts from their beloved cities. Mayor Mike looks thrilled to be receiving a dress shirt featuring a map of the London Underground, undoubtedly found at the bottom of Crest of London's bargain bin. And rumor has it, in that baby blue box is a Big Apple shaped crystal paperweight from Tiffany's. Who looks silly now?!

No comments: