Sunday, October 5, 2008

Alan McGee Thinks Dig Out Your Soul is Oasis' Revolver

Alan McGee is one of my all-time heroes; a true legend in the music world whose foresight and judgement cannot be matched. He occaisonally contributes to The Guardian music blog and I'm always delighted when a post of his pops up.

I haven't been as excited as I should be about the impending Oasis release, but leave it to McGee to get me all fired up. His post on Tuesday was a reminder of what drew me to Oasis to begin with, and why I've stayed a fan all these years. He reckons Dig Out Your Soul is the career defining seventh album for them the way Revolver, The Beatles' seventh, was seminal not only in the band's history but in music history. Ok, so I probably wouldn't go that far but it's nice to think Oasis are taking a step forward in their career. Album's out Tuesday and is currently streaming on MySpace.

This bit made me go a bit weepy and want to punch a triumphant fist high into the air:
"I understand that openly admitting to liking Oasis is inviting confrontation, but you know what? Being an Oasis fan is never having to say I'm sorry. And I'm not. Leave saying sorry to the Coldplay imitators as their era of bedwetter music is over...This is how rock'n'roll should be done in the United Kingdom today."

Elsewhere in The Guardian, the brilliant Alexis Petridis offers up a review of Dig Out Your Soul full of objective insight.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

are they ripping off someone else this time-

http://www.musicnewsnet.com/2008/10/oasis-ripping-o.html

Zappa said...

Listen to Waiting for the rapture, then The Doors - Five to One, now that is a rip off.