Wednesday, October 22, 2008

CMJ 2008 Coverage: Friendly Fires & Miles Benjamin, etc at Bowery Ballroom

CMJ 2008 is my first time actually hitting up the festival which has included such music icons and darlings as Nirvana, Weezer and The Arcade Fire in the past.

First up for us was the Lykke Li headliner with Micachu, Friendly Fires and Miles Benjamin Anthony Robinson as the openers. TLC was gettin' our happy hour on and talking to the bartender at Home Sweet Home down the street so we missed Micachu (Anyone who was there, do tell.)

We got in just in time for Miles Benjamin Anthony Robinson. Okay, let me stop right there for a minute. This is probably the most obnoxious name for a musical act ever, it took me years to remember
the names and the correct order because I was turned off by the name alone. I saw MBAR open for TVOTR in 2006 and his mic wasn't working...so yeah I never really gave the guy a real listen. MBAR has a funky old school sound which was enjoyable, but to be followed up by Friendly Fires and Lykke Li is brutal...they totally shone and left him in the shadows of my memory.


Now on to Friendly Fires. I will be honest, I'd only
heard a few tracks before seeing them live but totally not what I expected. As soon as the first song started lead singer Ed Macfarlane was popping and locking and going nuts on stage. Many many cowbells followed (I'm a sucker for the sound) , and the band won me over. Amazing energy and stage performance for the band, think part: Brandon Flowers, part: Does it Offend You Yeah? TLC was right in the thick of it, falling willing victim to Ed's pelvic thrusts and attempt to take our cup of ice (there was none left.) All in all CMJ's Showcase at Bowery was awesome. Definitely on my list of fave gigs recently, can't wait to see the boys and Lykke next time they hit up NYC (the rest of the week is too hectic.)













1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Friendly Fires realize there's already a record label with that name, right? It's been around for years.